Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley Review




 

As I have clearly been living under a rock these past few years, I only recently discovered Reese's book club picks. I have decided to challenge myself and read at least one a month, more if possible. Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley was my first book in this challenge, and I will say, it did not disappoint.

I think this book will be a hit or miss with people in general, you will either love it or hate it. We follow our main character Daunis, who feels like an outsider, not sure where she fits in...her hometown or the nearby Ojibwe reservation. After witnessing a murder, she is approached by the FBI to work as an informant to uncover a drug situation within the community. 

The writing of the author was done really well, she kept me intrigued and made me want to pick up the book to continue the story. However, I will say, at times, I needed a little break, as this was a slow paced book, but I never once felt I had to force myself to read, it just happened. At the same time I am going to contradict myself and tell you, that the slow pace of the story also, gave me, as the reader, the time to process all the information given and to put on my thinking cap and try to solve the mystery. Part of the mystery was predictable, but there were so many unseen and unexpected twists and turns, that it completely made up for it. 

The characters are memorable, you have the good, the bad, the creepy and lovable. You will most certainly find a character you can connect with. 

There is a little bit of romance blended into the story, and I have to be truly honest, this part annoyed me a little. The reason being, I love you, now I hate you, now I love you again...I couldn't root for the romance. 

Overall I truly enjoyed this read. It is a book that will most definitely make its way onto my shelves and I can see myself re-read this story in the future.

I rate this 4 out of 5 stars!

 



Comments