Jar Of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier Review



 

Jar of Hearts was my first introduction to Jennifer Hilliers' work and oh my...I lost myself in this book.

The story takes off in a court room with the trial of a murder that happened 14 years ago. Angela Wong, a 16 year old girl disappeared and no one knew what happened to her. But Georgina, her best friend knew what happened and where to find Angela. So does Geo's boyfriend, Calvin. A secret kept for so many years unravels when Angela's body is found near Georgina's house and it is revealed that she was a victim of a serial killer, the Sweetbay Strangler, Calvin James. Geo ends up in prison for five years due to helping Calvin cover up the crime. Just as Georgina is released from prison, new bodies are surfacing and it is done in the exact same way as Angela's murder...

I was a little skeptical going into this book already knowing who the killer was, I wasn't sure where the author would go with the story. I mean, where would the element of surprise be with the killer already revealed? Then the author surprised me completely and this book had more twists and turns than I bargained for. It was unputdownable, I flew through the pages. This book was all kinds of messed up and I loved every minute. (Not sure what that says about me...?) I can't remember when I last read a thriller which kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting more. I really didn't want this book to end.

I don't know how I feel about the characters, to me they weren't very likable, don't get me wrong, each character had a great part in the story. I just don't have a favorite. The story is written from two different POV's, Georgina's of course and then her and Angela's best friend Kaiser, who now is a detective and working the case. Certain things which happened to Geo made me feel empathy towards her, even though I knew she had a role in the murder of her best friend. But then I guess that is what makes this book so amazing. Simple math, Crazy/Sick characters + One great story = An Award Winning Thriller..  

Jennifer Hillier did an outstanding job with Jar of Hearts. I can not wait to get my hands on her other books and devour them. There is no doubt that this book will find a spot on my bookshelf. 

I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars! 

Comments