The Guest List by Lucy Foley Review


The Guest List by Lucy Foley was my second Reese's Book Club pick I chose to read as part of my challenge to complete all her chosen books. The story is about a group of friends on a remote island attending a wedding. At the reception, one of the guests is found dead, it is a classic whodunnit mystery thriller.

I was so intrigued, that I ordered my book and started reading it as soon as it arrived and I paired it with the audiobook. This book was so hyped and it won the Goodreads choice award for best mystery thriller, so it has to be good right? 

Oh my, I was not prepared for the disappointment. Now, I have been sitting here writing and re-writing this review for so long, that I almost gave up on writing down my thoughts on this book completely. I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I also hate to say bad things about a book, because I know the author puts in a lot of hard work to create the story and the characters, but I wasn't even halfway through the book when I wanted to dnf it, I pushed through hoping it will get better.

When I reached page 250, I was asking myself "what am I reading?" and "why am I still reading?" and yet, I didn't want to give up because I wanted to see why this book was so loved. We follow multiple POV's, the wedding planner, the plus one, the bride, the best man and the bridesmaid. These characters were horrible, I couldn't connect with even one of them. They were children pretending to be adults, men who never grew up, still having the same mentality as when they were in college. I felt like I never received any useful information during all those pages I already read and that left me with not even being able to connect with the story. At this point I had about 100 pages left, so I persevered, because I wanted to know what I am missing, how can so many people say this is the best book they have ever read, and be wrong? I wanted to understand.

Honestly, when I finished this book, I sat on the couch trying to gather my thoughts, I was still left with nothing. I am still confused, but I realized, that it is okay, because we can't all enjoy and love the same books. 

I rated this book 1 out of 5 stars.



Comments