The Last Bookshop in London by Madeline Martin

 

The last bookshop in London by Madeline Martin, we follow Grace Bennett as she moves to London in 1939, with her friend Viv. They live with Grace's late mother' best friend, Mrs. Weatherford and her son Colin. Grace finds herself without a proper recommendation letter to help her find work in London, so Mrs. Weatherford helps her to find a job at Primrose Hill bookstore. As the bombing raids by Germany start in London and intensify during the war, Grace helps so many people to cope with the war through storytelling...books have power, especially during dark times...

This is a book I stumbled across by accident, I have never heard of the author or ever seen any of her books. Once I read the title I wanted to know more, I went into this completely blind. All I knew about this was, that it is a WW2 historical fiction novel about a bookstore, I mean, who doesn't like a story about a bookshop and books?.

It felt amazing to choose a book and not know anything, no reviews, no info on what others thought of the book, (I stayed clear of the reviews on Goodreads till after I read the book). This made me realize again why I love reading, though I listened to the audiobook, the story pulled me in. I fell in love with the characters, the plot, it was all just normal people trying to survive the Blitz in London during the war. 

The main character, was easy to like and she seems to be one of those people whom you would want in your corner during dark days. After completing the audiobook, I read a few of the written reviews on goodreads and some stated, that Grace and the story, at times felt a little bit too sweet. While listening to the book, I felt that, during times of war there must have been people like Grace Bennett, who tried to stay true to themselves, who tried to be helpful in any way possible, who wouldn't let the ugly of war turn him/her to the dark side. And then of course Grace, our MC, had books and stories on her side, a good book will carry anyone through the darkest of times. 

I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars!

   

Comments