The Housemaid by Freida McFadden Review


In The Housemaid by Freida McFadden, we follow Millie, she is in desperate need of a job and luckily Nina Winchester is kind enough to offer her a position with their family as a housemaid. Millie is extremely grateful and starts immediately, moving into the attic of the Winchester's. Millie cleans the house, cook their dinners and look after their daughter when necessary and she tries to look the other way when Nina makes a mess, just to see her clean up after her. Then one day, things change and before Millie knows it, she is locked in the attic. But the Winchester's is in for a big surprise, they do not know who Millie is and what she can do... 

I found the synopsis of this book a little misleading, not in a bad way, but the book went into a completely different direction than what I thought it was going to be, if you read this novel you will probably understand why I am saying this. But nonetheless, I truly enjoyed this book. It was my first book by the author and I will most definitely try some of her other novels. 

The Housemaid was very addictive, once I started, I couldn't put this down. The book is written in three parts, Part 1 is from Millie's POV, Part 2 is from Nina's POV and Part 3 is chapters from both Millie and Nina's perspectives. If you are the kind of reader who pays attention to the smaller details, then within part 1 of this novel, you will already know where the story is heading. If this is the case, do not feel discouraged to read this book, because even though this was the case for me, my mind was still blown. The psychological elements to this novel had my jaw drop to the floor a few times. At times my heart was beating a little faster, not because it was a scary book, but from the weird feeling I got every time something new was revealed. 

These characters have dark minds, but even with their twisted minds, you are still able to like some of them. You might find yourself like and dislike the same character within pages from each other. You might feel empathy towards one or all of them when you think they least deserve it. 

I found this to be a quick and easy read. The author kept me engaged with the plot and characters at all times. She did a great job!

I rated this ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5 stars! 



Comments