Five Survive by Holly Jackson Review

 


Five Survive by Holly Jackson

Six friends on their way to the beach for Spring Break in an old RV. Soon they find themselves lost and completely isolated from the outside world. Once their wheels are shot out, one-by-one, they realize this is not an accident...there is a sniper, hidden, waiting patiently...

It is no secret that I did not enjoy the A Good Girl's Guide To Murder trilogy, but I did like Holly Jackson's writing style. When I saw the blurb of Five Survive, I wanted to give the author a second chance and this book confirmed that I do not dislike her writing. On the contrary, I think she has a really good way of capturing her audience.

This was a well-paced, YA thriller, which made me turn the pages over, one by one, until the very end. Not once did this story make me feel bored. Yes, some things in this novel is a bit far fetched, but keeping an open mind and if you remember that this is a YA fiction book, you will find this entertaining and a good read. 

I enjoyed the characters, they were all well written, the story is told from Red's POV. I found her a strong character. Oliver, on the other hand, was a little bit intense and his character made me want to throw my e-reader across the room a few times...luckily that didn't happen. But thinking about it, that only proves how well these characters were written and the way they deal with the stressful situation affects you as a reader.

There are things mentioned in the book which leaves you with a few questions and there is an open ending, but that will leave your imagination to complete the story for yourself.

I rated this ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of  5 stars!    

Comments