The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave Review


The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

Hannah is left a note, a single note saying "Protect Her", and then she realizes her husband disappeared. Who should she protect? Bailey, Owen's 16 year old daughter. Soon they find a U.S Marshal on their doorstep and FBI agents looking for Owen. They learn that Owen's boss has been arrested. Hannah is left with more questions than answers...who is Owen really and what did he do...? Hannah and Bailey has to figure out the truth together...

I didn't go into this one with high hopes, because of all the negative reviews, but I wanted to find out for myself. I won't label this as a thriller, far from it, I think this would be more of a domestic drama with a little mystery added into the mix. 

This was a hard one to put down, I contemplated a few times through out the day if my family really needed food or if they will survive one day without eating...now, before I am labeled as a bad mother, I promise my duties were done! But I still managed to finish my read in a day, once the hubby and my son was tucked into bed, I grabbed my e-reader and found myself completely engrossed with this book until the very last page. 

The writing style, the characters, the plot and the pacing, all worked well with this novel. I was hooked from page one. While the story is focused on the present, we receive a flashback memory chapter every now and again from Hannah, our main protagonist. I loved Hannah's character, and her patience with Bailey, even when Bailey treated her as a "stepmother". And I think that is part of why I enjoyed this book so much, seeing the bond between Hannah and Bailey develop.

I am okay to be the odd one out with this novel, I truly enjoyed this read and think I might just try the author's other books as well. 

For now I am on a book buying ban, but once my physical tbr is under control, I most certainly will be adding a physical copy of this book to my shelves.

I rated this ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5 stars!

Comments